Drop Down

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

An Unbelievable White Beach in the Desert - A Must See in New Mexico



There is no place in the world that I would rather be than at the beach. We had planned a trip to Florida (My favorite place ever!), but thought that we should wait until spring because of the Zika virus and all of the recent flooding.



We decided to take a long road trip through New Mexico and Arizona since we had never been to either of those states. While planning the trip, I ran across photos of White Sands National Monument. My beach in the desert…I was now super excited about the trip!



We visited white Sands towards the end of the trip. It was the main thing that I wanted to see and I was excited that the day had finally arrived. We woke that morning to a pouring rain!. We decided to just skip it and drive on. We had been driving for about an hour when I could not stand it anymore! I told my husband that I thought we should go anyway. So, we went. It stopped raining as we pulled up to the place and the clouds were starting to part. J



 The cloudy day made for a very surreal feeling! At times, you could not tell where the white sand ended and where the white clouds started.



White Sands National Monument is 275 square miles of large white gypsum dunes In the Chihuahuan Desert of New Mexico. It was once covered with water, Lake Otero.  



The road is paved and the sand dunes are covered with plants when you first enter. As you get further in, the road turns to sand and the dunes are clean.



The first thing that I noticed when we got out of the car was that it smells salty just like a beach. I thought it was just my imagination, but I heard a guy that we were standing by on the boardwalk comment on it.



Standing on the dunes is a strange feeling. It looks like you are standing is snow, but you can feel the warm sand with your bare feet.



In this photo, we are standing on the top of a large dune. It’s hard to tell how large the dunes are from glancing at the photo. Look closely towards the right side of the dune and you can see two people standing there. The place is amazing!



This has to be the most unusual picnic area that I have ever seen!




White Sands is located next to a Missile Range and is closed occasionally due to missile testing. Check here for open status.

Hours of operation vary throughout the year. Check the schedule here.



The actual physical address is:
 19955 Highway 70 West
  Alamogordo, NM 88310


Happy Travels! 





No comments:

Post a Comment