Fontainebleau State Park is a 2,800-acre park located on the northern shore of Lake Pontchartrain. It is a beautiful place to spend some time with nature, yet close enough to New Orleans for some big city fun.
I have listed nine fun things to do and have include some winter and summer photos so that you can see that it is equally beautiful all year around.
1. Fishing is a popular activity at the park. Check out the pier or cast from the shoreline for some redfish and trout action.
2. With white sand and beautiful blue water, the beach area is a great place for swimming and catching some sun rays.
3. Gathering shells along the shoreline is fun for the whole family. There are several different kinds and colors of shells, but I only collected the white ones.
4. Explore the cluster of cypress trees along the beach.
5. Take photos of and with the giant oak trees draped with Spanish.
6. Visit the brick ruins of a sugar mill built in 1829 by Bernard de Marigny de Mandeville, founder of the nearby town of Mandeville.
7. Stay in one of the 12 cabins that sleeps up to 8 people each for $120 - $150 per night.
8. Do some hiking at one of the two trails.
A 4.8-mile hiking trail and a 1-1/4 mile nature trail
Sailing is very popular on Lake Pontchartrain. Delaune YachtBrokerage is located just 9 minutes from the park and offers a couple of sailing options.
You can cruise with Captain Rick Delaune at the helm of the aboard the 42 ft. sailboat, "Windward Passage or sign up for private sailing lessons.
I have looked into the sailing lessons and it sounds like so much fun! I’m thinking about setting lessons up for my kiddos. They are all in their 20’s and I think they would have a blast!
1298 Madison St, Mandeville, LA 70448
62883 Hwy. 1089
Mandeville, LA 70448
$2 per person
Free for Seniors (62 and older) and children (3 and under)