Drop Down

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Discovering Jacob's Well: An Artesian Spring in Wimberley, Texas


I knew from the first photo that I saw of Jacobs well, that I had to go see it for myself. I was intrigued by people jumping from atop a rock outcropping into the deep hole of water.


I am always choosing a destination based on photos alone. I usually don't do a lot of research on the place until get back home. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I wan't to explore the place and find things on my own without any preconceived thought about it. I really don't know why. 



Anyway, Jacob's Well was not what I was expecting at all! It was really interesting, but much smaller than I thought. The main area of the hole is about 30 feet deep, but is only about 12 foot in diameter at most. The hole is surrounded by solid rock covered in very shallow water. The hole has many chambers below the main area that descend to approximately 120 foot.




Jumping into the well is prohibited, but there are hundred of videos and photos online of people doing just that. The height of the outcropping from where they jump and the tiny opening surrounded by solid rock was enough to discourage me! 😲



The area is a great place for hiking, climbing, and swimming. It usually is crowded, but it was raining on and off the day we were there, so we pretty much had it to ourselves.



Address:

1699 Mt. Sharp Rd
Wimberley, TX 78676



Entrance Fees:

$9 for adults 
$5 for Hays County residents with a photo ID showing residency 
$5 for children ages 5-12
 Free for children 4 and under
Military service members and veterans, as well as seniors age 60 and better will pay $5



May 1st through Memorial Day:  those wishing to swim must reserve a 2-hour time block on the County’s website. Only 300 people per day total will be allowed swim time.

Check here for other rules and regulations.


Happy Travels! 






No comments:

Post a Comment